Good warehouse practices can be broken down into three broad operational areas: safety, efficiency and proactivity. Each area of this warehouse checklist is designed to promote preventative maintenance, increased productivity and a holistic view of warehouse management. These are fundamental elements of material handling management that form the foundation of warehouse best practice regardless of your industry or market.
Safety is a priority for warehouse operators of any size. Good warehouse practices promote safety, which leads to better productivity, efficiency and ROI.
- Aisles used for foot or machine traffic should be clear of clutter and debris
- Areas in which machinery operate should be separated by barriers or bollards
- All employees operating machinery have been properly trained
- Employees should be equipped with proper safety equipment as recommended by task, environment and job role
- Good ventilation throughout
- Clearly marked emergency exits
- Weight limitations clearly marked on anything used to carry or store inventory
- First-aid kits, fire extinguishers and other safety tools clearly posted
- Backup power supply in place
Up to 60% of a picker’s daily activity can be involved in travel time. Here are some warehouse picking best practices to maximise your efficiency
- Automate where it makes sense to do so
- Optimise your warehouse layout to reduce travel time
- Use warehouse management systems to reduce human error
- Execute cycle counting operations to enhance inventory accuracy
- Re-slot your pick positions as often as necessary
- Utilise real-time data capture to find other ways to optimise
Proactive supply chains and warehouse management allow for a much more flexible approach to your operation. By anticipating future issues, you can respond faster.
- Keep your lift trucks in good repair and on a regular rotation
- Have backup forklift trucks for busy periods and sudden changes in demand
- Keep your staff fully trained on a range of machines and train regularly
- Keep your site secure at all times
- Employ strategic logistics management
Keep up to date with PHL and all things forklift machinery.